The Carmona Cereal Silo was the product of a new initiative brought in by Francisco Franco after he won the Spanish Civil War in 1939. He wanted control of Spanish farms and local produce, so farmers were forced to sell all of their wheat to the State for a fraction of the price it cost to produce.
The wheat was then transported to silos such as the abandoned El Silo de Carmona which is located about 30 mins away from Seville in Southern Spain.
In 1997, the silo ceased operations and has been left to decay at the foot of Carmona’s historic town. The building is currently being used for storage and has recently been approved for a refurbishment project which will see the silo turned into a museum.