The Dun Laoghaire Baths, otherwise known as Rainbow Rapids, date back to the 1790’s and used to act as a public place to swim and bathe up until 1997. There were different types of baths available to customers such as sea and fresh water, hot and cold baths, sulphur, seaweed and Russian and hot sea-water baths and children’s paddling pools.
Lots of people who currently reside in the Dun Laoghaire/Rathdown Council area have very fond memories of the baths. Unfortunately, the site is a derelict eyesore to walk past now, but according to the Irish Times, renovation of the abandoned site is due to start in July 2018.
“The project will include the retention of the existing baths building and the development of a new pedestrian walkway between the promenade at Newtownsmith and the rear of the east pier. However, the site will not include a public swimming facility” – Sorcha Pollak, The Irish Times